TOUR GAME OF THRONES IN IRELAND
TOUR GAME OF THRONES IRLANDA: 2 DAYS from 130 euros. Click on DESCRIPTION below to read the itinerary.
2 DAYS TOUR FROM BELFAST
- Depart from Jurys Inn taking the Causeway Coastal Route, passing Carrickfergus Castle and Magheramorne Quarry, location of Castle Black and the Wall.
- Morning comfort stop for coffee and restrooms.
- Photo stop at Cushendun Caves, where Melisandre gave birth to a dark spirit.
- Visit Renly’s Camp and Iron Islands Kingsmoot.
- Larrybane Chalk Quarry, where Brienne bested Ser Loras Tyrell and Catelyn brought news of Robb’s rebellion to Renly and his army. Also the location of the Iron Islands Kingsmoot in season 6.
- Visit the Iron Islands
- Visit to Ballintoy Harbour, location where Theon came ashore on Pyke Island, where Theon later rededicated his faith to the ‘Drowned God’, where Ser Davos seeks the help of Salladhor Saan for the Battle of Blackwater Bay, and where Gendry escapes Dragonstone in a rowing boat.
- Lunch in the Fullerton Arms
- Visit the Giant’s Causeway, the UNESCO World Heritage site, with the geological marvel of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns, formed in the Paleogene Period, 50-60 million years ago.
- Visit Dunluce Castle: Walk amongst the ruins of this 16th century castle, perched on the cliff edge and partly fallen into the sea. Dunluce castle was used for the establishing shot of Harrenhal castle, when Robb Stark and Roose Bolton arrive to witness scenes of devastation.
- Photo stop at the Dark Hedges, at the haunting avenue of beech trees, through which Arya and Gendry escaped King’s Landing.
- Arrival at Jurys Inn, Great Victoria Street.
- Depart from Jurys Inn, past Scrabo Tower and down the Ards peninsula to Portaferry.
- Ferry across ‘the Narrows’: Ferry ride from Portaferry to Strangford, across the mouth of Strangford Lough. The name Strangford is derived from Old Norse Strangr-fjǫrðr, meaning ‘strong fjord’, describing the fast-flowing narrows at its mouth. If the ferry is cancelled due to bad weather, the coach will take a different route to Winterfell.
- Morning trek at Winterfell (3 km): Visit to Castle Ward Estate. There are nine Game of Thrones® film locations on site, all close together. A 16th century castle and stableyard is the film location of Winterfell. Nearby, on the wooded shores of Strangford Lough, a 15th century Tower House (small castle) served as one of Walder Frey’s Twins and as the location of Robb’s Camp in the Riverlands. Other classic scenes filmed nearby include the spot where Brienne of Tarth dispatched three Stark bannermen and where Tyrion and Bronn were ambushed by the Stone Crows of the Vale.
- Lunch in the port of Strangford.
- Inch Abbey: King in the North: Photo stop at the ruins of a 12th century Cistercian Abbey where Catelyn and Robb hear terrible news from King’s Landing, and Robb’s bannermen pledge fealty to him as the ‘King in the North’. For those who want to get fully immersed in the mood of the North, in the trunk of the coach there are plenty of Northern cloaks and Stark shields, helms and swords.
- Afternoon Trek in Tollymore Forest (3km): Arrival at Tollymore Forest Park. This forest park, covering 630 hectares (1,600 acres) was used as the backlot for many key scenes, including where Wills finds the dismembered bodies in the snow, Tyrion and Jon’s campfire on their journey north to the wall, and the bridge where the Starks discover a dead direwolf and her pups.
- Depart Tollymore for Belfast: The tour concludes with a scenic drive through the Mourne mountains, source of inspiration for the world of Narnia as imagined by C.S. Lewis, before turning from Hilltown toward Banbridge and Belfast. We watch an episode of Game of Thrones on the last stretch of road to Belfast.
- Arrive back in Belfast.
PRICE: 130 euros. Includes: pick up in Belfast, bus tour, ferry on the second day, visit of the places with expert guide and fan of the series, tickets to the places where planned. Tell us your dates and we will quote you the accommodation.
DISCLAIMER: This tour is organized in independent way by the travel agency Templars Travel sl, is not sponsored, approved or affiliated with HBO or with anyone associated with the TV series “Game of Thrones”.