Bobbio (PC) 2nd AUGUST
DISCOVER BOBBIO, ELECTED THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGE IN ITALY 2019
BOBBIO, THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGE IN ITALY.
- 10:00 am: Meeting in Bobbio, at the parking in Piazza San Colombano;
- Visit to the Abbey of San Colombano, founded in 614 by the Irish monk of the same name. The abbey is a powerful aggregation of buildings among which the facade of the basilica stands out, whose crypt houses the tomb of San Colombano, flanked by the elegant arcade of the abbey, where the museum is located. The Abbey Museum collects many finds that start from the pre-Roman and Roman periods and then focus on the history of San Colombano. Possibility to visit the adjoining City Museum, which traces very precisely the establishment of the current urban center around the monastery over more than a thousand years. Keep a digital reproduction of some of the monastery's codices. The monastery was the seat of one of the largest libraries of the Middle Ages, and Umberto Eco drew inspiration from it to write his novel "The Name of the Rose";
- Visit of the Cathedral of Bobbio;
- Visit of the Malaspina Castle, built during the fourteenth century and which was the stronghold of the Guelphs during the struggles with the Ghibellines of Piacenza. Its imposing tower dominates the whole surrounding area and from its top you can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the city, the Apennines behind it and the valley that opens after the course of the Trebbia river;
- We will travel along the long Ponte Gobbo, also known as the Devil's Bridge, which crosses the Trebbia river. Of Roman origin, the bridge is made up of 11 long irregular arches that give it an original and suggestive appearance, which is also at the origin of the legends about its name. In fact, it is said that it was built by the devil himself with the intention of frightening the monks of the monastery of San Colombano and preventing them from crossing the river;
- 13:00: end of our services.
INCLUDES: Official Tour Leader Service.
DOES NOT INCLUDE: lunch, transport, entrance tickets to museums or places of visit, if applicable, insurance. Transportation will take place with the participants' own vehicles.
Program subject to change.
The tour costs 5 euros for children up to 12 years old.
Free for children under 6 years.